The U.S. Postal Service recently released its proposed Mailing Services price changes for January 2017. Now, they have announced proposed price changes for Shipping Services too, also slated to go into effect on January 22, 2017.
There are a number of price changes for domestic shipping services like Priority Mail Express®, Priority Mail® and Parcel Select, as well as for some increased international shipping prices. If approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC), the proposed prices will reflect an average 3.9 percent increase across all shipping services.
Priority Mail Express
The current price structure for Priority Mail Express (PME) will be maintained, with Commercial Base and Commercial Plus prices set equal to each other. Overall, PME prices are increasing 3.4 percent. Retail prices will go up by an average of 3.7 percent, Commercial Plus 2.3 percent and Commercial Base 2.4 percent. The Commercial Base price will be a flat discount of 11.2 percent off retail prices.
Like PME, the existing pricing structure for Priority Mail (PM) will remain constant as prices increase. Overall, PM prices are increasing 3.9 percent. Retail prices will increase an average of 3.3 percent. Retail Flat Rate prices will increase as follows:
- Flat Rate Envelope: $6.45 to $6.65
- Legal Flat Rate Envelope: $6.45 to $6.95
- Padded Flat Rate Envelope: $6.80 to $7.20
- Small Flat Rate Boxes: $6.80 to $7.15
- Medium Flat Rate Boxes: $13.45 to $13.60
- Large Flat Rate Boxes: $18.75 to $18.85
Commercial Base prices will increase 4.1 percent. This will reflect an average 11.2 percent discount off retail. Commercial Plus prices will increase 4.5 percent, an average 16.8 percent discount off retail.
USPS Parcel Select services will see average price increases as follows:
- Destination-entered non-Lightweight Parcel Select: 4.9 percent
- Parcel Select Lightweight: 8 percent
- Parcel Select Ground: 2.7 percent
Other Notable Domestic Rate Changes
- Parcel Return Services: 5.5 percent price increase
- First-Class™ Package Services: 4.1 percent price increase
- Retail Ground™: 3.8 percent price increase
- Premium Forwarding Service®: 3.8 percent price increase
Global Express Guaranteed® prices will increase across all weights and zones, for a 4.9 percent overall price uptick.
Prices for some international services like Priority Mail Express International® (PMEI) remain unchanged, but there is a noteworthy classification change for PMEI. Weight-rated items tendered at retail counters may be offered at prices equivalent to Priority Mail International® for certain destinations and weight steps.
Follow Pitney Bowes for more details on the rate change as January 2017 gets closer.