The messages Data Centre Phone Is Busy, Connection Lost or Connection Failed appear when attempting to add funds or a software update.
Important: This article is for franking machines connected via a telephone line only. If your franking machine is not connected via a phone line (for example, uses SmartLink™ or PC Meter Connect), please see No Dial Tone message on the DM50, DM55, DM100-DM400C
These messages are most often caused by the franking machine not being able to hear a dial tone on the phone line it is connecting through.
You are not connecting using our newest device. We recommend that you upgrade for free to our latest connection device, SmartLink™.
SmartLink™ connects your franking machine to your LAN (Local Area Network) via an ethernet cable or Wi-Fi. It enables you to add postage and perform data uploads with speed and ease, as well as access postage rates and software updates automatically by connecting your franking machine digitally to Pitney Bowes.
You may be able to resolve the issue by restarting the franking machine, then retrying a connection.
If the problem persists, to troubleshoot your connection you will need an analogue telephone in order to test the phone line.
- Connect the telephone to the socket the franking machine is connected to.
- If you do not hear a dial tone, check that the telephone cable is not faulty. If possible, test with another telephone cable.
- If you still do not hear a dial tone, the line is not active and this is the source of the problem. Try connecting the telephone to another port, or contact your IT or telephone provider.
- If you can hear a dial tone, dial 0818270348.
- If you need to dial a number to get an outside line (usually 9 or 0), you need to store this prefix on the franking machine. To check that the correct prefix is stored on the franking machine, see Adding or removing a dialling prefix.
- If you do not hear a fax tone, contact your IT or telephone provider.
- Restart the franking machine by unplugging the power cable for 10 seconds, then replace it.
- Connect the telephone line at the back of the franking machine. If possible, use the one that was just used to test the telephone line.
- Press Funds.
- Press Review (down) to Check balance available?.
- Press Enter/Yes to test the connection.
If you are unable to connect to the internet, ask your IT department or internet provider to check the internet settings before you contact Pitney Bowes. If you still need assistance, please use the Contact Us options below.
UPDATED: 22 April 2021