UK postal regulations require that a franking machine be inspected periodically. This inspection occurs automatically when your franking machine is refilled with postage, when your system connects to the Pitney Bowes Data Centre to perform a balance enquiry, or to perform a data upload.
If a connection to the Pitney Bowes Data Centre does not occur within a 90 day period, the franking machine will display Inspection Due or Inspection Required.
To clear an inspection message:
- Inspection Due can be cleared by connecting to the Pitney Bowes Data Centre, or pressing the clear button.
- Inspection Required can only be cleared by connecting to the Pitney Bowes Data Centre. Until a successful connection is made, the franking machine is locked and cannot print postage.
- Before you start, ensure that your system is connected via SmartLink™ (UK DM100), wired or wireless LAN, PC Meter Connect, or via analogue phone line, in order to communicate with the Pitney Bowes Data Centre.
- If your franking machine's screen is not displaying Connect now, skip to step 7.
- Select Connect now.
- Select Continue.
- Select Check PBP Balance. The franking machine connects to the Pitney Bowes Data Centre and displays your available balance.
- Press No to return to the Main screen. The inspection message should have cleared. If the inspection message continues to display, follow these steps:
- Press Add Postage.
- Select "Check PBP Balance". The franking machine connects to the Pitney Bowes Data Centre and displays your available balance.
Note: If the franking machine is unable to connect to the Pitney Bowes Data Centre, see the Connecting Your Product section for assistance troubleshooting connection issues.
If the inspection message is not cleared after following these steps and making a successful connection,
- Press No to continue without adding postage. The franking machine will check for any available updates.
- If updates are available, select Get update now. Updates will download and install automatically.
- After the updates have been installed, select Continue. The inspection message should now be cleared.
contact Technical Support. Please have your franking machine type (PCN) and Serial Number (franking machine #) ready, these can be located on a white sticker at the back of the franking machine
UPDATED: February 18, 2021