When connected via telephone line, the franking machine displays the error message No Dial Tone
or No Carrier Detected
when attempting to add funds, perform a data capture upload, or a system update.Note:
This article is for franking machines connected via telephone line only. If your meter is not connected via phone
(for instance, uses SmartLink™ or the Pitney Bowes Communication Device), please see How to resolve "No Dial Tone" message when franking machine is not connected to phone line
This error is most often caused by the franking machine not being able to hear a dial tone on the phone line it is connecting through.
We recommend that you switch to a digital connection: SmartLink™
connects your franking machine to your LAN (Local Area Network) via an ethernet cable or WiFi. It enables you to add postage and perform data uploads with speed and ease, as well as access postage rates and software updates automatically by connecting your franking machine digitally to Pitney Bowes.Click here to request your free SmartLink today.
You may be able to resolve the issue by restarting the franking machine, then retrying a connection.
If the problem persists, to troubleshoot your connection you will need an analogue telephone in order to test the phone line.
- Connect the telephone to the socket the franking machine is connected to.
- If you do not hear a dial tone, check that the telephone cable is not faulty. If possible, test with another telephone cable.
- If you still do not hear a dial tone, the line is not active and this is the source of the problem. Try connecting the telephone to another port, or contact your IT or telephone provider.
- If you can hear a dial tone, dial 08719480102.
- If you need to dial a number to get an outside line (usually 9 or 0), this "prefix" also needs to be set on the franking machine. To check that the correct prefix is stored on the franking machine, see How to add or remove the dialling prefix .
- If you do not hear a fax tone, contact your IT or telephone provider.
- Restart the franking machine by unplugging the power cable for 10 seconds, then replace it.
- Connect the telephone line at the back of the franking machine. (If possible, use the one that was just used to test the telephone line.)
- If the franking machine displays Connection Required Press Enter, press the Enter/Yes key. Otherwise, press the Funds key, scroll down, then select Check balance available? to attempt a connection.
If you need further assistance, please use the Contact Us
UPDATED: February 17, 2021