The franking machine is connected via telephone line, but fails to connect to Pitney Bowes when adding postage, performing a data capture upload or a system update.
You are not connecting using our newest device! Upgrade to our latest connection device:
SmartLink™ connects your franking machine to your LAN (Local Area Network) via an ethernet cable or WiFi. It enables you to add postage and perform data uploads with speed and ease, as well as access postage rates and software updates automatically by connecting your franking machine digitally to Pitney Bowes.
If your franking machine is displaying an error message, click on the relevant link below:
General tips for troubleshooting an analogue phone connection:
- Retry your connection several times. Especially when a large amount of data is being shared (for instance, during the monthly Data Capture upload) you may need to attempt a connection several times before it succeeds.
- The franking machine should be plugged directly into a telephone wall socket. You should remove any phone line splitters. These can add noise to the line, and the meter should not share a phone line.
- Ensure that the franking machine is connected to an active analogue phone line:
- The franking machine can use the same connection as a fax machine or credit card reader, or other dedicated analogue phone line.
- Unplug the phone cord from the back of the fax machine or other analogue device.
- Plug the end of the phone cord that was removed from the other device directly into the franking machine.
- Check what kind of phone line you have:
- The franking machine is designed to work with a true analogue phone line, such as a dedicated fax line.
- An ADSL line may work. If there are problems try adding an ADSL filter. ADSL filters can be purchased at an office supply store or acquired from the phone company.
- Simulated analogue phone lines can be problematic. They will use a device to simulate an analogue line. Reboot the device if you are having issues.
- A T1 or VOIP line will not work with the franking machine.
- If you must press a key on your telephone to get an outside line (often 9 or 0), you may need to enter a dialling prefix on the franking machine.
If you are unable to connect to the internet, ask your IT department or internet provider to check the internet settings before you contact Pitney Bowes. If you still need assistance, please use the Contact Us
UPDATED: February 25, 2021