Canada Census Boundary Bundle
Canada Census Boundaries represents complete hierarchies of political and census boundaries for Canada, and is available in two versions. The Standard version is updated every 5 years following the new Canadian census. The Enhanced version includes selected large water features and more detailed shorelines, and is updated quarterly.
- The dataset provides a framework for analysis and visual representation within mapping applications.
- Access the most current data available, which is suitable for land use and demographic studies as well as social, economic and market research.
- Geographic identifiers link census data to geographic areas.
- Boundary files can be used to create new geographic areas.
- Census Boundaries data can be enriched with proprietary data to create thematic maps.
- Provinces/Territories: All ;10 Provinces and 3 Territories
- Census Divisions: Counties, regional districts, regional municipalities, and united counties
- Census Metropolitan Areas/Census Agglomerations (CMA/CA): Urban areas with populations over 100,000
- Census Subdivisions: Towns, cities, villages, townships, and Indian Reserves
- Census Tracts: Small communities (average population 4,000)
- Dissemination Areas (DA): The smallest boundary for which census data is provided, with population from 400-700 persons
- Boundary files align with the Census Road Network File to provide additional geographic context for mapping applications.
- Boundaries roll up from the Dissemination Areas to ensure that all levels overlay correctly and provide a more accurate visual analysis.
- Coverage: All Canadian provinces and territories
- Release Schedule: Standard – Every 5 years Enhanced - Quarterly
- Unit of Sale: Nation (CAN) or Province