USPS® Postal rates and promotions
The United States Postal Service (USPS) announced price changes for Mailing and Shipping Services effective January 21, 2018. Though postal rates have increased, you can save on postage and shipping:
- Mailing Services pricing
- Shipping Services pricing
- Intelligent Mail Package barcode
- USPS Promotions
The following information lists USPS rate changes, and pricing that takes effect January 21, 2018.
Changes to First-Class Mail®:
- First-Class Mail® Letters up to 1 ounce: price increases from $0.49 to $0.50
- First-Class Metered Mail: price increases from $0.46 to $0.47. Metered mail discount remains 3 cents when compared to stamped letters.
- First-Class Mail® Flats up to 1 ounce: price increases from $0.98 to $1.00
- First-Class Mail® Parcels (Retail): pay one price up to 4 ounces: $3.50, an increase of $0.50.
- Marketing Mail prices (formerly known as Standard Mail), increase 1.9% on average, as do prices for Bound Printed Matter, Media Mail® and Library Mail.
Changes to Presorted mail:
- Presorting First-Class Mail allows mailers to cut down on postage costs by taking advantage of USPS workshare discounts. The January 2018 rate change will maintain many of those discounts.
- Overall prices for Presort Letter/Postcards increased by 1.591 percent, but presorting to the five-digit ZIP code level remains 3 cents cheaper than sorting to the AADC level.
- Meanwhile, the difference in price between Mixed AADC (MAADC) automation letters and AADC automation letters was reduced from 2 cents to 1.6 cents.
- Rates for automated presort flats decreased by 1.6 cents, except for flats sorted to the five-digit level. In that case, the discount was reduced in order to meet statutory requirements.
- The USPS is also continuing an incentive that allows First-Class mailers that presort their mail to send letters weighing up to 3.5 ounces for the same price as a 1-ounce letter. In other words, you can send more mail for the price of just 1 ounce.
- Additionally, using the Full Service Intelligent Mail® Barcode (FS IMb) on First-Class and Marketing Mail will continue to provide a $0.003 and $0.001 discount, respectively.
|Select rates for First-Class Mail®||Expiring 2017
|Single-piece Letter – First ounce||$0.49||$0.50|
|Single-piece Metered – First ounce||$0.46||$0.47|
|Single-piece Flat – First ounce||$0.98||$1.00|
|Each additional ounce (letters and flats)||$0.21||$0.21|
|Parcels - Retail||$3.00 (up to 4 oz.)||$3.50 ( up to 4 oz.)|
|Presorted letter – (now same price up to 3.5 oz.)||$0.453||$0.458|
|Surcharge for non-machinable letters||$0.21||$0.21|
|Presorted flat - First ounce||$0.798||$0.799|
|Each additional ounce (presorted flats)||$0.21||$0.21|
|Automation letters - 5-digit - First ounce||$0.373||$0.378|
|Automation Postcards - 5-digit - First ounce||$0.253||$0.257|
|Automation flat - 5-digit - First ounce||$0.446||$0.474|
|Select rates for USPS Marketing Mail® (previously Standard Mail®)|
|Letter 3.5 ounces or less – AADC (Non-automation)||$0.284||$0.287|
|Flat 4 ounces or less – ADC (Non-automation)||$0.555||$0.602|
|Select rates for Other Services|
|Media Mail® – 1 lb. Single-Piece||$2.63||$2.66|
|Library Mail – 1 lb. Single-Piece||$2.50||$2.53|
|Return receipt - retail||$2.75||$2.75|
|Return receipt - electronic||$1.45||$1.50|
*The USPS will also offer a combo price for Certified Mail with Restricted Delivery for $8.55.
Ways to save on USPS postage costs:
Save more with Pitney Bowes. The new metered letter price saves you 3 cents per piece over First-Class stamps, making your meter or software even more valuable to your bottom line. Choose the sending solution that is right for your business plus get a free trial.
Maximize your postal discounts with Pitney Bowes Presort Services. Pitney Bowes Presort Services helps maximize postal discounts and induct mail closer to its final destination, generating deeper postal discounts and enhanced delivery time. Learn more about First-Class Mail® Presort. Learn more about Direct Mail Presort Solutions for USPS Marketing Mail® (previously Standard Mail).
Small volume mailers can save even more postage on First-Class Mail®. Get the benefits of high-volume mailers (the presort rate discount) with small mail volumes, maximize your convenience, and improve your mail accuracy with PresortXtra by Pitney Bowes.
The following new pricing takes effect January 21, 2018.
The January USPS rate increases reflect an average 3.9 percent increase across all shipping services compared to 2017 rate prices. The changes will affect both domestic and international shipping products, including Priority Mail Express®, Priority Mail® and Parcel Select.
Priority Mail Express®
Priority Mail Express (PME) rates will increase by an average of 3.9 percent overall when compared to 2017 rates. PME services are split into a Retail price category and two discounted Commercial price categories (Commercial Base and Commercial Plus) although the pricing for both commercial options remain aligned to offer the same discounts compared to retail. Ultimately, customers who use Commercial priced PME will on average save 11.3 percent over Retail PME. Commercial prices are available when using PC Postage products such as SendPro.
- Priority Mail Express Retail: 3.9 percent price increase
- Priority Mail Express Commercial Base: 3.7 percent price increase
- Priority Mail Express Commercial Plus: 3.7 percent price increase
Priority Mail (PM) offers a pricing structure similar to that for Priority Mail Express, including a Retail and two Commercial price categories (Commercial Base, and Commercial Plus that offers better discounts based on volume).
PM prices will see an average rate increase of 3.9 percent overall, with Retail prices increasing by an average of 0.8 percent, Commercial Base increasing 6.2 percent, and Commercial Plus prices increasing 6.1 percent.
PM Flat Rate retail prices will increase as follows:
- Flat Rate Envelope: $6.65 to $6.70
- Legal Flat Rate Envelope: $6.95 to $7.00
- Padded Flat Rate Envelope: $7.20 to $7.25
- Small Flat Rate Boxes: $7.15 to $7.20
- Medium Flat Rate Boxes: $13.60 to $13.65
- Large Flat Rate Boxes: $18.85 to $18.90
Commercial Base offers a 9.4-percent discount off retail and Commercial Plus provides an even greater bargain at 12.7 percent. Customers with significant volume can continue to seek deeper discounts from USPS for Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express through negotiated service agreements.
USPS Parcel Select services will see average postal price increases as follows:
- Parcel Select, 1 pound and above: 4.9 percent price increase
- Destination-entered: 6.3 percent price increase
- Non destination entered: 4.1 percent price increase
- Parcel Select Lightweight (under 1 pound): 7 percent price increase
Other Domestic Rate Changes of note:
- Parcel Return Services: 4.9 percent price increase
- Retail Ground™: 3.9 percent price increase
- First-Class™ Package Service – Commercial: 3.9 percent price increase
- First-Class™ Package Service – Retail: 14.5 percent price increase
Prices for a range of international shipping products will increase by 3.9 percent each:
- Global Express Guaranteed (GXG)
- Priority Mail Express International (PMEI)
- Priority Mail International (PMI)
- International Priority Airmail (IPA)
- International Surface Air Lift (ISAL)
- ISAL M-Bags
- Airmail M-Bags
USPS will continue to offer matching Commercial Base and Commercial Plus discounted rates off retail, but make deeper discounts available through Negotiated Service Agreements.
Shipping Retail and Commercial Prices
Business mailers who ship Priority Mail®, Priority Mail Express® or First-Class™ Package Service may be eligible for discounts off of the retail rates.
Commercial Base pricing - This option lets you save on retail rates. There are no volume requirements (other than normal permit imprint or presort requirements, if applicable). Eligibility is based primarily on how you prepare your shipments. Pitney Bowes offers many solutions that will help you qualify, including:
- Ways to generate the Intelligent Mail® package barcode.
- USPS-approved PC Postage systems with approved shipping labels.
- Please refer to the Domestic Mail Manual for specific requirements. To find out if your current Pitney Bowes solution will enable you to qualify for Commercial Base Pricing, please contact us.
Commercial Plus pricing is available to Priority Mail® customers who qualify for Commercial Base pricing and:
- have a cumulative account volume that exceeds a combined total of 5,000 letter-size & flat-size pieces (including Flat Rate Envelopes, but not the Padded Flat Rate Envelope) or 50,000 total pieces in the previous calendar year (except Priority Mail Open and Distribute)
- and who have a customer commitment agreement.
Select rates effective 01/21/2018
|Priority Mail®||Retail||Commercial Base||Commercial Plus|
|Legal flat-rate envelope||$7.00||$6.85||$6.65|
|Padded flat-rate envelope||$7.25||$7.10||$6.90|
|Small flat-rate box||$7.20||$7.05||$6.85|
|Medium flat-rate box||$13.65||$12.85||$12.45|
|Large flat-rate box||$18.90||$17.65||$17.10|
|Priority Mail Express®||Retail||Commercial Base||Commercial Plus|
|Flat Rate Envelope*||$24.70||$21.98||$21.98|
|Legal Flat Rate Envelope||$24.90||$22.09||$22.09|
|Padded Flat Rate Envelope||$25.40||$22.46||$22.46|
*Flat Rate Envelope, Legal Flat Rate Envelope, and Padded Flat Rate Envelope pricing for zone 1 & 2 is the same for .5 up to 2lbs.
|First-Class Mail™ Package Services||Expiring Prices||New Prices 1/21/18|
|Commercial Parcels||$2.61 (up to 4 oz.)||$2.66 (up to 4 oz.)|
Ways to save on shipping costs:
Shipping can be challenging. Our new 2018 Guide to Office Shipping white paper helps make shipping easier to navigate.
Save up to 39% on retail shipping services with USPS-compliant shipping solutions like our full SendPro® suite and SendSuite® Live when sending large envelopes and package classes (Priority Mail®, Priority Mail Express®, and other package services). These solutions give you access to USPS savings.
Save on parcel shipping costs with Presort Services Parcel Mailing Solutions by Pitney Bowes. With no accessorial fees, fixed per piece pricing and a nationwide logistics network, we can work with you to reduce costs and streamline operations for your parcel shipping needs.
Save money when sending packages.
What is the IMpb?
The Intelligent Mail® package barcode (IMpb) is a barcode format that includes information about your specific shipment. These details enable the USPS to track packages from pick-up to delivery, including up to 11 interim scans. The USPS uses this data to expedite package delivery and reduce costs.
What’s in it for me?
- Qualify for Commercial Base Pricing (CBP), which could mean big savings on postage.
- Get free insurance: $50 on Priority Mail or $100 on Priority Mail Express, all without going the Post Office.
- Access reliable, end-to-end tracking information for you and your customers.
How can I get started?
Pitney Bowes offers software and web-based services that prepare labels, handle the USPS reports and electronic files, and make it easy for you and your customers to track shipments. Learn more with our IMpb Quick Summary.
Not a frequent shipper?
If you use USPS package services less frequently, you can use pre-printed barcode tracking labels (Label 400). Simply apply this pre-printed label and pay standard retail rates.
- You can benefit from detailed delivery tracking at no added cost.
- Plus, if you bring your parcels to a USPS retail counter, you can also request free insurance on these items.
- You will not receive the postage discount.
Order the pre-printed tracking labels for the cost of shipping and handling at our supplies store or pick them up at your local Post Office.
Need more information?
Pitney Bowes and the USPS offer a host of resources:
Personalized Color Transpromo Promotion
Color print technology allows you to create more impactful, higher-value communications that help improve your operational performance and your bottom line. Now, those same communications can also earn you 2% discounts from the USPS.
From July 1 to December 31, 2017, the USPS encourages eligible mailers to invest in color print technology by producing bills and statements that use personalized color transpromotional messaging providing an upfront postage discount of 2% to eligible postage.
See how much you can save by taking advantage of the USPS Personalized Color Transpromo Promotion between From July 1 to December 31, 2017. Learn more.
Learn more about Pitney Bowes print solutions.
Mobile Shopping Promotion
The Mobile Shopping Promotion encourages mailers to integrate mobile technology with their direct mail efforts in order to make it easier for customers to shop online. Eligible mailpieces that direct customers to a social media “Buy button” may receive a discount on postage.
See how much you can save by taking advantage of the Mobile Shopping Promotion between August 1 and December 31, 2017. Learn more.
Learn more about Pitney Bowes Global Ecommerce solutions.
Great Mailing Opportunities
The 2017 Mailing Promotions continue to build on the engagement strategies of the 2016 promotions. The promotions focus on providing organizations with the opportunity to engage their customers by using dynamic color, new print techniques, mobile technology as well as traditional and innovative mail techniques.
Pitney Bowes offers a comprehensive range of mailing services designed to help you optimize your postage spend. Contact us to better understand your options and take advantage of these promotions.
Webinar | January 2017 USPS® Rate Change
Join us on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 1:00PM for a free half hour webinar.Register today