Postal Changes for USPS® Shippers
2019 USPS® Rate Change: What it means to you
Overview of postal changes
Ways to save on USPS postage costs:
Take advantage of unprecedented savings on larger items you send. Save up to 40.4% on larger envelopes and packages you ship through the USPS -- like Priority Mail -- by printing complete IMpb shipping labels directly from a single device or right from your desk with our SendPro® solutions. The SendPro shipping label qualifies you for the best pricing and detailed delivery history for Priority Mail® and other USPS package services. Almost anything you send over 13 oz. qualifies.
Items that are eligible for shipping label:
Consider First-Class Package Services: First-Class Package Service (FCPS) continues to be positioned as a lightweight (less than 1 lb.) offering primarily used by businesses for fulfillment purposes. FCPS allows you to send packages weighing less than 1 lb. and save 32% or more vs. Priority Mail.
Multi-carrier shipping: Our SendPro solutions reduce the complexity of USPS shipping and automatically give you access to Commercial pricing discounts. And whenever you need, it’s simple to use UPS and FedEx – from our single solution – to help ensure you don’t overspend on shipping. Multi-carrier rate shopping from a single platform like SendPro empowers your business to make smarter decisions on how you ship to maximize savings.
DIM Weighting: Your packaging matters. Lighter weight, lower density packages are comparatively less profitable for carriers because they take up so much space relative to the price charged per package (based on weight alone). Looking for ways to adjust this model, carriers started using dimensional (DIM) weight rates. DIM weight rates allow carriers like the USPS to establish a minimum charge for the cubic space a package occupies. DIM weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package (in inches) divided by carrier divisor for shipments. The current divisor for USPS is 194, but that will change to 166 on June 23, 2019.
The following information lists USPS rate changes and pricing that take effect January 27, 2019.
Changes to First-Class Packages:
New for 2019, the FCPS-Retail and FCPS Commercial price categories will have zone-based pricing.
Overall, First-Class Package Service prices will increase 12.3%, with a 13.3% increase for FCPS-Retail and an 11.9% increase for FCPS-Commercial.
Changes to Priority Mail®:
- On average, Priority Mail Retail prices will increase 6.6%.
- Priority Mail Commercial prices only increase an average of 3.2%.
- CBP will, on average, will reflect a 19.4% discount of retail prices.
- Balloon pricing will be eliminated.
- Starting June 23, 2019: Dimensional Weighting, which currently applies for Zones 5-9 will apply for all Zones 1-9, and the DIM factor (divisor) will change from 194 to 166.
Changes for Priority Mail Express®:
- Overall, Priority Mail Express prices will increase 3.9%.
- CBP will, on average, will reflect a 13.1% discount of retail prices.
- Starting June 23, 2019: Dimensional Weighting will be new for Priority Mail Express and will apply for all Zones 1-9. The DIM factor (divisor) will be 166.
Changes for Parcel Select:
- Destination Entered Parcel Select will increase 9.3% on average.
- Non-Destination Entered Parcel Select will decrease 1.3% on average (to encourage volume growth).
- Lightweight Parcel Select will increase 12.3%.
- Balloon Pricing will be eliminated.
- An optional small parcel forwarding fee of $4.53 will be introduced for shippers of Parcel Select Lightweight parcels for which forwarding is desired.
- Starting June 23, 2019: Dimensional Weighting will apply for all Zones 1-9. The DIM factor (divisor) will be decreased from 194 to 166.
|Select rates for First Class Mail®||Expiring 2018 Prices||New Prices 01/27/19|
|Single-piece Letter – First 1 oz.||$0.50||$0.55|
|Single-piece Metered – First 1 oz.||$0.47||$0.50|
|Single-piece Flat – First 1 oz.||$0.98||$1.00|
|Each additional ounce (letters and flats)||$0.21||$0.15|
|Flat/Large Envelope – 1 oz.||$1.00||$1.00|
|International Letters – 1oz. (Country Groups 1-9)||$1.15||$1.15|
|International Postcard (Country Groups 1-9)||$1.15||$1.15|
|Select rates for Other Services||2018||2019|
|Return receipt - retail||$2.75||$2.80|
|Return receipt - electronic||$1.50||$1.60|
|MediaMail® – 1 lb. Single-Piece||$2.66||$2.75|
|Library Mail – 1 lb. Single-Piece||$2.53||$2.61|
USPS Shipping Rates
|Select rates for Priority Mail®||2018 Retail Rates||2019 Retail Rates||2019 SendPro Rates||2019 SendPro Savings|
|Flat Rate Envelope||$6.70||$7.35||$6.95||5.4%|
|Legal Flat Rate Envelope||$7.00||$7.65||$7.25||5.2%|
|Padded Flat Rate Envelope||$7.25||$8.00||$7.55||5.6%|
|Small Flat Rate Box||$7.20||$7.90||$7.50||5.1%|
|Medium Flat Rate box||$13.65||$14.35||$12.80||10.8%|
|Large Flat Rate Box||$18.90||$19.95||$17.60||11.8%|
|APO/FPO/DPO Large Flat Rate Box||$17.40||$18.45||$18.21||12.7%|
|1lb. Package to Zone 2||$7.35||$7.35||$6.95||5.4%|
|10lb. Package to Zone 4||$19.60||$19.60||$11.69||40.4%|
|Select rates for Priority Mail Express®||2018 Retail Rates||2019 Retail Rates||2019 SendPro Rates||2019 SendPro Savings|
|Flat Rate Envelope||$24.70||$25.50||$22.68||11.1%|
|Legal Flat Rate Envelope||$24.90||$25.70||$22.80||11.3%|
|Padded Flat Rate Envelope||$25.40||$26.20||$23.18||11.5%|
|1lb. Package to Zone 2||$24.70||$25.60||$22.74||11.1%|