Adjusting the envelope openers on the DI900, DI950, and Relay 5000-8000
Make side guide, wedge, and separator gap adjustments on your high capacity envelope feeder (HCEF) on your inserter to ensure envelopes feed correctly.
Follow these steps to adjust the envelope openers:
- Feed a Test Envelope
- Perform Width Adjustments (Outer Envelope Openers)
- Perform Length Adjustments (Inner Envelope Openers)
- Load the outer envelopes into the envelope feeder(s).
- Select Loading Instructions from the Home screen.
- Select Pre-Run Adjustments.
- Select Envelope Opener Settings.
- The system automatically selects the feeder when only one outer envelope is being used.
- If multiple outer envelopes are used, you must select an envelope feeder.
- Press Trial Piece to feed one envelope to the insertion area.
- Open the insertion area cover and observe the envelope. If you need to make adjustments, follow the procedures for setting the width and/or length.
- Loosen the thumbscrews on the top of the outer envelope openers.
- Slide the Openers as required to align the pointers with the outer edges of the envelope.
- Push down on the thumbscrews to ensure the outer envelope openers align with the envelope.
- If using small envelopes (less than 194mm 7wide), move the outer envelope openers out and away from the outer edges of the envelope.
- If using windowed envelopes, ensure the outer envelope openers do not touch the edges of the window.
- Tighten the thumbscrew on the top of the outer envelope openers.
There are three inner envelope openers, that typically need length adjustments only. But, when needed, these (except the middle opener) can be moved laterally.
- If using windowed envelopes, loosen the thumbscrews that secure each inner envelope opener.
- Position the inner envelope openers so they do not touch the edge of the window. In unusual circumstances, such as vertical windows, you may need to place the opener on the window to prevent the opener from catching on the window's edge.
- Tighten the thumbscrews for the adjusted openers.
- Press down, then pull one of the knobs on the top of the frame, to determine how far the the insertion edge of one inner envelope opener goes into the envelope.
- If necessary, loosen the knob on the insertion edge of the inner envelope opener, and adjust until it goes at least 5 mm (3/16 inch) into the top panel of the envelope.
- Tighten the knob for the adjusted insertion edge.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 for the other two insertion edges.
UPDATED: 20 January 2023