Calculating the closest target postal code using a file in StreetSweeper Pro
If you have a list of target postal codes, Geosmart will calculate the closest of those postal codes for each record in your database. You can use this information to determine the closest target postal code for each record. As well, you can use this information to select records that fall within a prescribed distance from the closest target postal code.
- For the most accurate results, it is recommended that you run Correction/Validation or Validation on your database prior to adding location data.
- Select Address Tools > Geosmart.
- Select Create a distance list.
- Select the Add from File button. Browse to find your postal code file and select Open. The postal codes will appear in the viewing box on the right.
- Select Process.
- StreetSweeper Pro will return to the Database View during and after processing. To view results, scroll to the right of the database until you see the fields GEO_NEARESTPC and GEO_DISTANCE. The GEO_NEARESTPC field will display the closest of the target postal codes to the record. GEO_DISTANCE field is the calculated distance, in kilometers, between the record and that target postal code.
- You can specify the maximum and minimum distances of your export file by selecting File > Export File and entering in these distances where indicated.
UPDATED: 04 January 2024