For some classes of service, the Post Office bases the price of the mail piece on both the weight and the shape of the item. Systems equipped with Weigh-On-The-Way® (WOW®)/Shaped Based Rating can weigh and measure the mail piece as it moves through the system when a class that requires it is selected.
- Open the appropriate job.
- Set or verify that the weighing method is set to WEIGH-ON-THE-WAY® (W-O-W®).
- Select Class in the Mail Information list box and select the option for Auto W-O-W® and D-O-W®. Select any other services required from the Extra services list box on the right of the screen.
- Select OK.
- Place the mail in the feeder.
- Select Start.
- A piece will feed into the mailing system and be weighed.
- As it moves through the system, the thickness, length, and width of the envelope are measured.
- Depending on the weight and measurements, the appropriate rate will be selected and the postage calculated.
- If an item's postage cannot be calculated because of its weight or dimension, use the attached scale method and manually select the appropriate class.
Note: For a detailed description of postal services, see your Postal Authority website.
UPDATED: August 14, 2021