The USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope is a convenient way to send documents and small items. In this article, we’ll discuss what flat rate shipping is and prices for 2023 USPS Flat Rate Envelope shipping. The price depends on the size and type of flat rate envelope, so we’ll compare several options.
Numbered list with jump links:
Table of contents
- What is flat rate shipping?
- What is a USPS flat rate envelope?
- What are the advantages of USPS Flat Rate Envelope shipping?
- What are sizes, rates and prices for USPS Flat Rate envelopes?
- Do USPS Flat Rate Envelopes include tracking?
- How long do USPS Flat Rate Envelopes take to deliver?
- How can you prepare to save on shipping and mailing costs in 2023?
What is flat rate shipping?
Flat rate shipping is a way to keep shipping expenses low and avoid surprise surcharges. Flat rate boxes come in a variety of sizes and shapes with different service levels across the major carriers. The weight of your package may dictate your choice of flat rate carrier. UPS and FedEx [link to blog #10: Flat Rate Shipping Box Prices: Shipping Small vs Large Boxes] limit flat rate package weight to 50lbs. while USPS has a higher weight limit of 70lbs. The speed of service is another consideration. For fast, economical service, USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate offers 1–3 business day shipping for packages or envelopes.
For documents or small items, flat rate envelopes are a cost-effective option. The pricing is determined by the envelope you use and not by the weight or distance. In this article, we’ll cover what you need to know about the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope.
What is a USPS Flat Rate envelope?
A USPS Flat Rate envelope lets you send postal mail at a fixed rate, no matter the destination. You can choose a flat rate envelope from among a variety of sizes and materials, each with a fixed price.
What are the advantages of USPS Flat Rate envelope shipping?
As a set-price service from the USPS, flat rate envelopes come with several advantages and built-in benefits.
Advantages of Flat Rate Envelopes
- Free shipping supplies: The envelope itself is provided by the USPS at no charge.
- Stable costs: No need to calculate prices and no surprises
- Fast delivery: USPS flat rate envelopes arrive within 1–3 business days.
- No surcharges: USPS does not add surcharges for residential addresses, fuel or Saturday delivery.
- Large address list: USPS delivers to every U.S. address, including post office boxes, Army/Air Force Post Office (APO), Fleet Post Office (FPO) and Diplomatic Post Office (DPO).
- Security: Only the USPS can use mailboxes, which means they don’t leave your envelopes on the porch like other carriers. In addition, USPS shipments are protected by U.S. law enforcement.
Now that we’ve answered “What is flat rate shipping?” you may be wondering “How much is flat rate shipping?” and want to know more about “How long does flat rate shipping take?”
What are sizes, rates and prices for USPS flat rate envelopes?
The rate for a USPS Flat Rate Envelope is determined by the envelope size and material. You have several options when choosing a flat rate envelope, including window and padded envelopes.
USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope Pricing
|Length||Width||Commercial pricing||Price at post office and online|
|Flat Rate Envelope||12-1/2”||9-1/2”||$8.05||$9.65|
|Window Flat Rate Envelope||
|Small Flat Rate Envelope||10”||6”||$8.05||$9.65|
|Padded Flat Rate Envelope||12-1/2”||9-1/2”||$8.80||$10.40|
|Legal Flat Rate Envelope||15”||9-1/2”||$8.35||$9.95|
Do USPS Flat Rate Envelopes include tracking?
If you search “Does USPS Flat Rate Envelope include tracking?” you’ll find that the answer is yes. Online tracking is included, as well as insurance up to $100 for most shipments. The best part? There’s no additional cost.
How long do USPS Flat Rate envelopes take to deliver?
If you search “How long does USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope take?” there are a couple of possible answers. Flat rate envelopes shipped domestically via USPS Priority Mail will arrive within 1–3 business days. For an additional cost, Priority Mail Express guarantees delivery of flat rate envelopes in 1–2 business days.
You can compare the USPS Flat Rate Envelope service to UPS Simple Rate, which is a bit different. UPS Simple Rate offers four flat rate shipping speeds: within five days, within three business days, second-day and next-day delivery.
How can you prepare to save on shipping and mailing costs in 2023?
When you use Pitney Bowes shipping software, you can save with USPS Flat Rate envelopes and discounted rates. If you want to know whether a flat rate envelope is the best option, PitneyShip® software can help you make the right decision.