Before you select a rate for a large envelope or flat, you need to determine whether the mailpiece you are sending is a letter or flat (large envelope) according to the USPS.
If your mailpiece weighs more than 3.5 oz, the device automatically sets the class to Large Envelope regardless of the dimensions. If the mailpiece weighs less than 3.5 oz but has the dimensions of a flat, you need to manually select Large Envelope when you choose the class.
To determine if your mailpiece meets all the criteria for a flat (dimensions and weight), use the Postal Advisor app.
To open the Postal Advisor:
- Tap Postal Advisor in the application drawer at the bottom of the Home screen, or,
- Tap SendPro Apps on the Home screen, then tap USPS Postal Advisor.
The Postal Advisor also provides information for multiple types and classes of mailpieces, including postcards, letters, and parcels.
Weigh the mailpiece and measure the dimensions
- Tap Envelope Printing or Print on Envelopes on the Home screen.
- If you have the accounting feature enabled on your machine, tap Account and select an account.
If your device's model number is 8H00 or 9H00 and if you have only a single account, once you select that account the device will remember that account the next time you start Envelope Printing.
- Place the mailpiece on the scale. The weight displays in the weight button on the screen. You can also weigh the mailpiece using any external postal scale.
- Measure and record the dimensions of the mailpiece.
- Tap Home to return to the Home screen.
- Tap the double-headed arrow on the right side of the application drawer at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the Postal Advisor icon.
- Tap on Flats.
- Tap on Physical Characteristics tab and see if your mailpiece is within the weight and size limits.
If the mailpiece is less than 3.5 oz but has the dimensions of a flat:
- Tap the Home icon in the toolbar.
- Tap Envelope Printing or Print on Envelopes.
- If you have the accounting feature enabled, tap Account and select an account.
- Tap Class.
- Tap Start Over to show a list of all the available classes.
- Tap First-Class Retail Metered for a First-Class mail envelope.
- Tap Large Envelope.
- Select any special services required.
- Tap Apply.
- Place the envelope or envelopes on the feed deck. Depending on the SendPro C model you have, feed the envelopes manually or tap Start to feed the envelopes. If the envelope is too thick to go through the feeder, print the postage on a tape and apply the tape label to the large envelope or flat.
UPDATED: February 16, 2021