Getting a refund for postage errors or postage that was printed and not used

Learn How to Request USPS Postage Refunds for Misprints and Unused Postage
Learn How to Request Postage Refunds for Misprints and Unused Postage with the USPS. Refunds are issued at the discretion of the USPS.

For more information on the eligibility of refunds view the current USPS postal regulations.

Request a refund for postage printed in error or printed and not used

To request a refund from the USPS, get a printed USPS Form 3533 - Application for Refund of Fees, Products, and Account Withdrawals from your nearest Post Office. Your postage mark must be clear and complete. Submit the form within 60 days from the printing date.

USPS refund processing fees 

  • The fee is 10% of the value of the postage if it is $500 or less.
  • When the postage value exceeds $500, a charge of $50 for every hour spent processing the refund is applied, with a minimum charge of $50.
For more information, contact your local Post Office.

Related topics

UPDATED: February 08, 2024