Resolve "Error database \path\filename.xls could not be opened" when attaching a mail list to Envelope Designer
Learn how to resolve the error "Error database \path\filename.xls could not be opened" when attaching a mail list to Envelope Designer.
Product affected: Envelope Designer
When attaching a mail list to Envelope Designer, the error "Error database \path\filename.xls could not be opened" is displayed, where \path\filename.xls is the path and file name of the mail list, such as "Error database Y:\MyFolder\mymaillist.xls could not be opened".
The header formats of the import file are incorrect.
- Close Envelope Designer.
- Navigate to the file you are trying to attach and open it with the default program associated with it (for example, if it is a .xls file, open it in Excel).
- Look at the headers (name, address, city, state, etc.) and tabs (Excel files will show tabs at the bottom for each sheet) of the file. Make sure that the headers and tabs meet the following guidelines:
- The header cannot be longer than 10 characters.
- The header name cannot contain spaces.
- The header name cannot contain special characters.
- Open Envelope Designer and attach the file. If the error is still displayed, proceed to the next step.
- Envelope Designer can have issues accessing a file if the file path is too long. If the path to the file is longer than 65 characters (the entire path, such as Y:\Folder\AnotherFolder\MyFolder\mymaillist.xls), copy the file to the root of the C:\ drive, then open Envelope Designer and attach the file again.
UPDATED: May 20, 2021