Submitting a ValueMAX claim for damaged, lost or stolen equipment

Learn how to submit a request to start the repair/replacement process if equipment has been damaged, lost or stolen.
Sign in to Your Account to submit a ValueMAX claim for damaged, lost or stolen equipment.
  1. Sign in to the Pitney Bowes Your Account online portal
  2. Select  Support & Cases and click Create a New Case
  3. Select Account Support>>ValueMAX>>Lease
  4. Choose How do I File a ValueMAX Claim.
  5. Include the following in the case:
    • Direct Phone Number
    • Contract Number
    • Meter Serial Number
    • Address where equipment is located (Note: If you have temporarily relocated, include this address as well)
  6. Select Submit
Once successfully submitted a case number will be displayed. A confirmation email will also be sent with this information.  A representative will be assigned to your case and will assist with completing your request.

UPDATED: February 19, 2024