Create a TrackMyMail job using FTP
You must use FTP to create jobs in an automated and integrated process, as well as create trackable Intelligent Mail barcodes (IMbs) and upload their jobs to TrackMyMail using the required file format for job creation prior to the mailing date.
- FTP Job Creation Process
- File Specifications
- Finishing and Uploading Your File
- Confirming That Your File Uploaded Successfully
- Identify which mailpieces will be tracked. We recommend that all pieces in a single mailing be tracked.
- Determine what data should be included in the three user-defined fields. Data included in these fields will appear in the reports. For example: Account #, voter ID, region delivered specific to your mailing, phone number, email address, etc. The user-defined fields should include this data to enhance the reporting received.
- Create the Header Record for the file. Items required:
- The user ID and password for the TrackMyMail account in which the job will be created
- Job ID and Job Title (specified by the client)
- A mailer ID (MID) assigned by the USPS that has been registered with TrackMyMail for the purposes of tracking mailpieces (6- or 9-digit)
- All other mailing details and fields outlined by the file specifications document for the header record
Sample Header Record:
- Export the mailing data in the precise format identified in the file specifications document. The fields must be in the order outlined in that document and must include all fields, including optional fields, even if they are left blank.
Sample Detail Records:
D,193784380,93401714021,00311000311012996179,,First,,Last 1,,First Last 1,,,123 BULLOCK LN,,SAN LUIS OBISPO,CA,93401714021,193784380,20 Group,,,,,,, D,193330902,90813272001,00311000311012996180,,First,,Last 2,,First Last 2,,,456 W 12TH ST,,LONG BEACH,CA,90813272001,193330902,20 Group,,,,,,, D,193338854,92504210010,00311000311012996181,,First,,Last 3,,First Last 3,,,789 STREETER AVE,,RIVERSIDE,CA,92504210010,193338854,20 Group,,,,,,, D,193344090,60618441943,00311000311012996182,,First,,Last 4,,First Last 4,,,321 N KIMBALL AVE,,CHICAGO,IL,60618441943,193344090,BOGO,,,,,,, D,193344672,28504,00311000311012996183,,First,,Last 5,,First Last 5,,,654 SPENCE TAYLOR RD,,KINGSTON,NC,28504,193344672,BOGO,,,,,,, D,193347152,30805342567,00311000311012996184,,First,,Last 6,,First Last 6,,,987 MURROW RD,,BLYTHE,GA,30805342567,193347152,BOGO,,,,,,, D,193347513,44108192363,00311000311012996185,,First,,Last 7,,First Last 7,,,123 SAINT CLAIR AVE,,CLEVELAND,OH,44108192363,193347513,BOGO,,,,,,, D,193349647,91403554762,00311000311012996186,,First,,Last 8,,First Last 8,,,456 DICKENS ST,,SHERMAN OAKS,CA,91403554762,193349647,20 Group,,,,,,,
- Add your header record to your exported data file:
First Last 1,,,123 BULLOCK LN,,SAN LUIS OBISPO,CA,93401714021,193784380,20 Group,,,,,,,
- Sign in to your FTP account at ftp.trackmymail.com. Sign in to your company’s assigned TrackMyMail FTP account using your preferred FTP file transfer software. (For example Filezilla, FTP Voyager, WinSCP, CoffeeCup, CoreFTP, or CrossFTP.)
- If an FTP account is needed, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your website account name to request one.
- If using Filezilla, do the following:
- Open FileZilla and select FILE > SITE MANAGER.
- Select MY SITE, then click the NEW SITE button.
- Complete the fields on the right (TrackMyMail FTP site information, your FTP credentials).
- Select Protocl: SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol.
- Select a background color.
- Select CONNECT.
- You should now be connected to the TrackMyMail server.
- Transfer the file via FTP.
- Verify that the file has been processed successfully.
- Select the desired file via browsing your own system.
- Drop the desired file into the main directory of your FTP account. This directory is typically designated as /
If the file upload is successful
- It generates an email confirmation to the request address.
- It puts the file into the Done folder in your FTP account.
- It loads the job onto the dashboard of your TrackMyMail account.
If the file upload fails
- It generates an email failure notification to the email address listed in the Confirmation Email field in the header record.
- It either puts the file in the Error folder in your FTP account, or the file fails to appear in any folder in your FTP account.
- Files being uploaded to TrackMyMail should follow the format specified in the tables below.
- The field sizes specified in the tables below are the maximum field size accepted.
- All files must be either tab- or comma-delimited (.txt or .csv).
- The file can be zipped if necessary.
- You must upload your file to the main directory (/) of your FTP account at ftp.trackmymail.com.
- Each Header record constitutes a new job.
- Only one Header record is allowed per file.
- If the file upload type is "Append" or "Replace," the Job ID and Job Title must match precisely the Job ID and Job Title of the original job being updated or replaced. If this is not done, the original job will not be updated.
- For detailed Header Record specifications, see Header Record Specifications for FTP files.
- All Detail records must be of the same Service Type (STID): First Class, Standard, ACS, etc., within each job/header record.
- All fields must be represented, including optional fields, even if empty.
- All IMbs assigned to Detail records must be within the assigned tracking ID range provided by TrackMyMail, or, alternatively, must use the client's own registered mailing ID (MID).
- All records/versions must use the same MID and STID combination for each job. Any change to either the MID or the STID requires a separate job with a unique Job ID and Job Title.
- Mailer ID (MID) must be registered both with the USPS and with TrackMyMail if an alternative/client's MID is being used.
- For detailed Detail Record specifications, see Detail Record Specifications for FTP files.
- In order to create multiple versions within a job, all Header records for all versions of the job must contain the exact same Job ID and Job Title in order to link each version to the same job. This creates a group of jobs via the shared ID/Title.
- In addition to the matching Job ID and Job Title, all detail records for all versions must contain the exact same MID and STID.
- The Version ID must be populated, and must be different for each job Header.
Your Header and Detail records will be uploaded in the same file.
Required File Specifications
- The file must be saved as a .csv or .txt file.
- The file can be zipped if necessary.
- You must upload your file to the main directory of your FTP account ( / ) at ftp.trackmymail.com.
To ensure that your job has been successfully processed by FTP:
- Verify that the file has moved into the Done folder in your FTP account.
- Verify that the job appears on your TrackMyMail dashboard.
- Verify that you received a job confirmation email.
UPDATED: November 22, 2022