The article’s solution or answer has been confirmed in practice by a client or Pitney Bowes agent.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Property Taxes
UPDATED: December 10, 2016
- What is Property Tax?
- Why is my property tax invoice different from what I’ve seen in the past?
- Why am I charged an administrative fee?
- I have more than one administrative fee charge on my property tax Invoice. Why is that?
- Why am I charged sales tax when my organization is exempt?
- Why am I charged sales tax on my property tax?
- We are tax exempt - why are we being charged property tax?
- I have a Sales Tax Exempt Certificate, am I exempt from Property Tax?
- How many times will I receive a property tax bill throughout the year?
- How is my assessed value calculated?
- Why am I receiving a bill when I don't have the equipment any longer?
- Why aren't these taxes included in my regular payment?
- Why am I charged property tax on my new lease for equipment that I replaced, or for equipment that was moved from another location?
- How can I pay my bill?
What is Property Tax?
Like other assets your business may use, property tax may be assessed by your state and local governments on equipment furnished to you by Pitney Bowes. Pitney Bowes pays these taxes as the owner of this equipment and passes these charges along to you in accordance with the terms of your Agreement.
Why is my property tax invoice different from what I’ve seen in the past?
- We’ve revised the heading on page 1 of your invoice so you can quickly see that this property tax invoice is related to either your lease or your rental equipment.
- Immediately below that you will see the summary and line items, which clearly indicate this is an invoice for Property Tax.
- On page 2, under "Details of Your Charges", you will see the serial number, lien date, tax jurisdiction (abbreviated by state and, in some cases, county).
Why am I charged an administrative fee?
Pitney Bowes charges an Administrative fee for processing and paying the Property Tax. Per the terms and conditions of your agreement, the administration fee covers Pitney Bowes’ costs to prepare and file the required property tax returns to the appropriate tax authority.
I have more than one administrative fee charge on my property tax Invoice. Why is that?
If you have multiple contracts that have been billed property tax on the same invoice, you will see an administrative fee for each contract.
Why am I charged sales tax when my organization is exempt?
If your organization is exempt from sales tax, please send a copy of your tax exemption certificate to: Tax.Department@PB.com, and a sales tax credit will be issued to your account. Please note there are no property tax exemptions.
Why am I charged sales tax on my property tax?
Certain tax authorities assess sales tax on all payments, including property tax payments. Learn more: Understanding Sales Tax.
We are tax exempt - why are we being charged property tax?
Pitney Bowes is not tax exempt; therefore we are charged Property Tax by the local taxing authorities. Per your terms and conditions this charge is passed along to you.
I have a Sales Tax Exempt Certificate, am I exempt from Property Tax?
No. A Sales Tax Exemption Certificate specifically exempts organizations from sales taxes, not property tax.
Learn more: Understanding Sales Tax.
How many times will I receive a property tax bill throughout the year?
Taxing authorities (state and local governments) bill at varying frequencies and at different times. Certain jurisdictions may also assess tax on different equipment or equipment components (a meter and scale, for example) at different times. The result is you may receive multiple property tax invoices per year.
How is my assessed value calculated?
On a yearly basis, Pitney Bowes reports the cost of the equipment, its reasonably estimated value, the acquisition year and location of the equipment to the tax authorities. Local assessors determine the assessed value based on this information.
Why am I receiving a bill when I don't have the equipment any longer?
States assessing personal property taxes require us to file based on assessment date. If the equipment was in your possession on this ‘cut-off’ date, you are responsible for the associated charge as specified in your agreement.
Why aren't these taxes included in my regular payment?
It is not possible to determine specific tax requirements in advance. Pitney Bowes bills you based on the actual tax paid, as equipment value assessments drop each year.
Why am I charged property tax on my new lease for equipment that I replaced, or for equipment that was moved from another location?
If we are unable to bill property tax before a replacement or equipment move, we will apply those charges to your new lease. They will be combined and billed on a single property tax invoice.
How can I pay my bill?
- Check: Payment should be sent to the address shown on the enclosed invoice. When submitting a payment by check, please include the attached payment coupon.
- Online: Make payments at pitneybowes.us/signin. Sign in or register to create a profile, then select View & Pay Bills. You will need your 10-digit account number to enroll.
- Phone: Call the phone number referenced on your invoice to use our automated phone system.
For other property tax concerns, contact us at 800.732.7222.