Whether you are a new remote worker or a seasoned veteran, below are some tips to help everyone succeed in a virtual workspace.
Communication is more important than
ever now that you're no longer a few desks
down from your team. Make sure you:
- Schedule 1:1 check-in meetings to connect on your goals, upcoming projects and daily tasks.
- Help your manager keep your work top-of-mind by bringing up important milestones on your own.
2. Check your tech
Video conferencing is a great way to stay
connected with peers while
you’re working remotely.
- Utilising a simple, unified video conferencing solution with support for screen sharing empowers you to be more connected, productive and engaged.
3. Lean on your community
It is easy to feel isolated when working remotely.
- Staying connected helps you to remain productive while embracing location flexibility. Use your smartphone and video capabilities because seeing someone’s facial expressions can help increase connection.
4. Consider your workspace
Create a designated spot for work at home,
make sure that you feel motivated by your
environment and ready to tackle whatever
comes your way.
- Aim for a routine but prepare for unexpected change to your schedule as you adapt to this new way of working.
- Assume positive intent and be compassionate with other colleagues as they adapt too.
- When you’re in a virtual meeting and not talking, the mute button comes in handy to minimise background noise. Sometimes interruptions are unavoidable, so it helps to be patient.
5. Determine your working style
Figure out what you need to work successfully.
- Do you like being surrounded by white noise? Use a noise meditation app. Work well in silence? It might be time to invest in some noise-cancelling headphones. Are you more productive in the morning or afternoon? Take breaks throughout the day or a standard midday break to stay motivated.
6. Make time for self-care
It's easy to find yourself stuck to your
computer screen for a longer period of time.
- It's important to schedule time for self-care activities to boost your energy, mood and keep your body and mind fit. You can do this without even leaving the house by using video sharing platforms or apps.
7. Know when to "log off"
This can be one of the most challenging
- Though you may receive emails and chat notifications at any hour (especially if you're working in a different time zone), it's important to develop a habit of setting a time when you officially, "log off“.