Intelligent Mail Indicia Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do IBI and IMI mean?
In short, IMI (Intelligent Mail Indicia) replaces the current IBI (Information Based Indicia) performance standard with newer, more sophisticated technology. As of December 2024*, the USPS is completing the transition to its new performance standards and you will no longer be able to use non-IMI compliant postage meters.
As an approved USPS partner, Pitney Bowes has you covered with all our SendPro® devices that print IMI-compliant postage.
Why did the USPS mandate a move to the IMI standard?
Postage and transaction data that the USPS gets from IBI technology is limited, and it inhibits them from fully automating some back-office operations (such as refunds and proper postage payment validation).
The IMI standard will provide much more detailed real-time transaction data, enabling the USPS to automate operations, employ better security standards, and ensure correct postage is used. This is not the first technology migration the USPS has mandated, and it certainly won’t be the last. We’re here to make the transition as seamless as possible.
Read more in our latest blog, USPS® IMI: Compliance Comes with Benefits
Interested in learning more? Click here to have a Pitney Bowes sales representative contact you.
When will USPS require non-IMI devices to be removed from the market?
There is a lot going on, so here’s a snapshot of key dates to remember.
- June 30, 2024: IBI meters will be decertified, and no new contracts, leases or rentals can be created after this date.
- December 31, 2024: IBI meters must be withdrawn from service. Should you still have an IBI meter on January 1, 2025, you will not be able to print compliant postage. In addition, all providers must stop manufacturing and leasing non-IMI compliant meters for lease lengths extending beyond this date.
- SendPro® P-Series/Connect+® mailing systems have a USPS-approved extension* on their withdrawal from service. You can continue using your system through the end of the current lease period* and transition to an IMI solution at that time.
- June 30, 2026: DM Infinity™ will be withdrawn from service at this time through a USPS-approved extension. We are fast at work to deliver a solution that meets both your needs and USPS regulations. Find information and updates on your DM Infinity replacement here.
How does the new IMI standard benefit my business?
- Eliminate overspending with the new option to select desired service class for more accurate postage.
- Improve mail deliverability and efficiency with real-time transactional data.
- Robust security encrypts sensitive data to facilitate Fraud Detection, making your organization less susceptible to cyberattacks.
Adopting the Intelligent Mail Indicia is required – but there are also six smart reasons to comply. Read the latest blog from our staff writer for news, tips and updates on the IMI changes.
How do I know if I have an IBI postage device?
*The USPS has approved extensions that postpone the withdrawal from service dates for the SendPro® P-Series/Connect+ mailing systems until December 31, 2027.
How do I know if I have an IMI postage device?
If you are using one of the following postage devices, you are using IMI technology and are not required to make any changes at this time.
Where can I learn more about how to move to an IMI postage device?
Simply log in to Your Account to view if your meter is IBI or IMI technology. Here you can access a single view of all active meters and the IBI or IMI designation will appear to the right of the product name. If you are within a year of your lease ending or currently renting, enter your account number here to see if you have any offer(s) available.
Not a client? Click here to have a representative contact you.
*SendPro® P-Series/Connect+® must be withdrawn from service by December 31, 2027.