The article’s solution or answer has been confirmed in practice by a client or Pitney Bowes agent.
Connecting to the Pitney Bowes Data Center
UPDATED: 29 June 2016
Your mailing system must be connected to the Pitney Bowes Data Center to do important functions:
- Retrieve postage funds from your account
- Get firmware/software updates to keep your system optimized
- Receive USPS® Rate Change updates
- Get ZIP code/Zone changes
- Download Envelope Ads and postal inscriptions
- Perform mandatory postal inspections
- USPS® Confirmation Services
How to Connect
Digital is the method of connectivity due to its speed, convenience, reliability and lower costs. It provides substantially faster upload and download speeds. A digital connection can be set up in the following ways:
- The USB Ethernet Connectivity Kit connects your DM Series meter to a LAN network with internet access
- Connect with SmartLink™ using a wired (LAN) or wireless (WiFi) network (mailstation™, mailstation2™, DM100i®, DM200L™ meters only)
- Install PC Meter Connect™ on a Windows computer with internet access, and connect a USB cable between your meter and your PC
- Set up and connect your machine on your WiFi network
Retrieve Postage Funds
Postage funds are stored internally in your meter. When funds run low, refill your postage by connecting to the Pitney Bowes Data Center to transfer/download funds from your postage account. Of course, you will need funds available through any of the postage payment options.
Obtain Software Updates
Software updates are sometimes needed to improve meter operations. When connected to the Data Center to add postage or perform other transactions, the system may also receive software updates. You will see a message when an update is available. (e.g., Update Required, or Update Available).
- If a download is not mandatory, a message displays: Get Update Now or Skip; Get later; Update Available
- If a download is mandatory, only Get Update Now or Update Required displays, and you must perform the download.
- If you need to reboot the system, the prompt Restart Now displays. Select to restart your system. If restarting is unnecessary, select Continue.
Do not disconnect the USB cable or power from a computer or meter while an update or download is in process. Wait until the process has finished.
Receive Rate Change Updates
The USPS® updates postal rates; when new rate data is available, you must update your system to reflect these changes. Create your pitneybowes.com account, the update your Settings to ensure you receive communication about pending USPS (or other carrier) updates.
Help us remind you by signing up for email notifications with your account profile. Be sure to add all of your accounts for your products and services; we can keep you informed about important info.
TIP: Get the latest postal news at Rate Change Central.
Get ZIP/Zone Changes
The USPS makes occasional changes to ZIP codes and zone assignments. These changes can affect the price of your mail as well as how efficiently it's processed at USPS. You must update your system when these changes occur. Be sure to add ALL accounts to your profile online.
Download Envelope Ads and Postal Inscriptions
Envelope Ads allow you to imprint a message, slogan or logo on any piece of mail. Postal inscriptions are text printed on the envelope to identify to the Post Office which class of service should be used. Ready-made and custom ads and inscriptions can be accessed via your account online. You will be notified when your order is ready to download - straight to your meter.
Perform Postal Inspections
The USPS® requires a postal inspection of your machine every 120 days. This requirement can be met through your connection to the Data Center to check your postage account balance or to add postage to your meter.
If the interval between inspections is more than 90 days, the meter displays, Inspection Due. If the interval between inspections is over 120 days, the display prompts: Connect before the 6th; or Inspection Required. Learn the steps to clear the message for your specific meter.
USPS Confirmation Services
Depending on your equipment type, you can use many USPS Confirmation Services including: insured mail, COD, certified or registered mail, return receipt, err, merchandise return, and special handling. Your service records can be uploaded to USPS for processing. For the latest details about confirmation services, refer to the USPS website.
TIP: If you have a DM Series meter, see USPS® Confirmation Services Guide for more information.