Postal Changes for Meter & Online Postage Users
2019 USPS® Rate Change: What it means to you
Overview of postal changes
Ways to save on USPS postage costs:
The following information lists the USPS rate changes and pricing that went into effect January 27, 2019.
Automatically save 5¢ on every letter. You automatically save 5¢ when you use your meter or SendPro online account. Whether you print postage from our online solution or with our postage meters, you save time and money on every letter you send.
Take advantage of unprecedented savings on larger items you send. Save up to 40.4% on larger envelopes and packages you mail -- like Priority Mail -- by printing complete IMpb USPS shipping labels (trackable labels) directly from a single device or right from your desk with our SendPro® solutions. The USPS shipping label qualifies you for the best pricing and detailed delivery history for Priority Mail® and other USPS package services. These services have a Retail rate and a Commercial rate. Almost anything you send over 13 oz. qualifies. Shipping Labels printed from SendPro provide virtually the same benefits and packaging options as using labels for carriers like UPS® and FedEx®, along with a similar process.
Your meter gives you complimentary access to SendPro Online. Log in to take advantage these savings.
Items that are eligible for shipping label:
Consider First-Class Package Services. First-Class Package Service (FCPS) continues to be positioned as a lightweight (less than 1lb.) offering primarily used by businesses for fulfillment purposes. FCPS allows you to send packages weighing less than one pound and save 32% or more vs. Priority Mail.
DIM Weighting. Your packaging matters. Lighter weight, lower density packages are comparatively less profitable for carriers because they take up so much space relative to the price charged per package (based on weight alone). Looking for ways to adjust this model, carriers started using dimensional (DIM) weight rates. DIM weight rates allow carriers like the USPS to establish a minimum charge for the cubic space a package occupies. DIM weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package (in inches) divided by carrier divisor for shipments. The current divisor for USPS is 194, but that will change to 166 in June 2019.
The following information lists USPS rate changes and pricing that went into effect January 27, 2019.
Changes to First-Class Mail®:
- Metered mail discount increases to 5¢ when compared to stamped letters. First-Class Metered Mail price increases from $0.47 to $0.50.
- The “Additional Ounce” rate for First Class Letters and Flats is decreasing by 6¢ from $0.21 to $0.15.
- First-Class Mail® Flats up to 1 ounce and Postcards: no price increase. Because of the decrease in additional ounce rate, 2 to 13 oz. Flats are up to 20% cheaper than 2018 rates.
Changes to First-Class Packages:
- New for 2019, the FCPS-Retail and FCPS Commercial price categories will have zone-based pricing.
This change will require you to enter the destination zip code for each First Class Package you send.
- Overall, First-Class Package Service prices will increase 12.3%, with a 13.3% increase for FCPS-Retail and an 11.9% increase for FCPS-Commercial.
Changes to Priority Mail®:
- On average, Priority Mail Retail prices will increase 6.6%.
- Priority Mail Commercial prices only increase an average of 3.2%.
- CBP will, on average, will reflect a 19.4% discount of retail prices.
- Balloon pricing will be eliminated.
- Delayed until June 23, 2019: Dimensional Weighting which currently applies for Zones 5-9 will apply for all Zones 1-9, and the DIM factor (divisor) will change from 194 to 166.
- Changes for Priority Mail Express®
- Overall, Priority Mail Express prices will increase 3.9%.
- CBP on average, will reflect a 13.1% discount of retail prices.
- Delayed until June 23, 2019: Dimensional Weighting will be new for Priority Mail Express and will apply for all Zones 1-9. The DIM factor (divisor) will be 166.
|Select rates for First Class Mail®||Expiring 2018 Prices||New Prices 01/27/19|
|Single-piece Letter – First 1 oz.||$0.50||$0.55|
|Single-piece Metered – First 1 oz.||$0.47||$0.50|
|Single-piece Flat – First 1 oz.||$0.98||$1.00|
|Each additional ounce (letters and flats)||$0.21||$0.15|
|Flat/Large Envelope – 1 oz.||$1.00||$1.00|
|International Letters – 1oz. (Country Groups 1-9)||$1.15||$1.15|
|International Postcard (Country Groups 1-9)||$1.15||$1.15|
|Select rates for Other Services||2018||2019|
|Return receipt - retail||$2.75||$2.80|
|Return receipt - electronic||$1.50||$1.60|
|MediaMail® – 1 lb. Single-Piece||$2.66||$2.75|
|Library Mail – 1 lb. Single-Piece||$2.53||$2.61|
USPS Shipping Rates
|Select rates for Priority Mail®||2018 Retail Rates||2019 Retail Rates||2019 SendPro Rates||2019 SendPro Savings|
|Flat Rate Envelope||$6.70||$7.35||$6.95||5.4%|
|Legal Flat Rate Envelope||$7.00||$7.65||$7.25||5.2%|
|Padded Flat Rate Envelope||$7.25||$8.00||$7.55||5.6%|
|Small Flat Rate Box||$7.20||$7.90||$7.50||5.1%|
|Medium Flat Rate box||$13.65||$14.35||$12.80||10.8%|
|Large Flat Rate Box||$18.90||$19.95||$17.60||11.8%|
|APO/FPO/DPO Large Flat Rate Box||$17.40||$18.45||$18.21||12.7%|
|1lb. Package to Zone 2||$7.35||$7.35||$6.95||5.4%|
|10lb. Package to Zone 4||$19.60||$19.60||$11.69||40.4%|
|Select rates for Priority Mail Express®||2018 Retail Rates||2019 Retail Rates||2019 SendPro Rates||2019 SendPro Savings|
|Flat Rate Envelope||$24.70||$25.50||$22.68||11.1%|
|Legal Flat Rate Envelope||$24.90||$25.70||$22.80||11.3%|
|Padded Flat Rate Envelope||$25.40||$26.20||$23.18||11.5%|
|1lb. Package to Zone 2||$24.70||$25.60||$22.74||11.1%|